Home Immunotherapy of Common Warts—Protocol
Benefits: 58% to 84% of patients clear their warts in three months. Partial clearing occurred in 10% to 18% of patients.
Safety: Is non-toxic, non-mutagenic and easy to use.
Risks: Possible mild to severe allergic reaction to SADBE (resembling poison oak). This is managed with a topical cortisone cream. Blistering and hypopigmentation (lightening of the skin) may occur.
Cost: To the patient, approximately $45 to $110 depending on size. Cost may vary depending on the compounding pharmacy.
Sensitization: 3% SABDE will be applied to a dime-sized area of the upper arm by the doctor or nurse. At this site, in the following one to two weeks, redness may develop in 10% of patients. A small amount of topical steroid will be given to treat this.
- Patient to start applying 0.2% squaric acid (SADBE) approximately 2 weeks after sensitization in office.
- Apply a small amount with a Q tip to warts each day.
- Avoid application to facial warts unless instructed to do so by the doctor.
- The medicine is drippy and evaporates easily, so application should be quick and be performed with care not to spill it or drip it.
- If after 3 months, there is no response, the concentration of the medicine will be increased to 1% and the process repeated for 3 more months.
- Please call the office if you have questions about this protocol.
Note: If you develop rash during therapy with SADBE, discontinue therapy and call our office.
What to expect: Responders can expect improvements as early as one month, and clearance as early as three months. No change will generally be seen for the first 4 weeks of therapy. If nothing happens, do not stop the medication because you do not think it is working. Just be patient.
Modifying therapy: If no response is seen at six weeks, the concentration of SABDE may be increased
Made by: Squaric acid dibutylester: Made by Spectrum Chemicals Co., Gardena, CA.
- Dollar drug
1055 W College Ave (in G and G shopping center) Santa Rosa, 95401
Phone: 707-575-1313 :: Toll Free:800-728-3173 (takes 24 hours to prepare)
- Jayes Compounding Pharmacy
13222 Riverside Dr., Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
Toll Free: (888) 999-5293
- Parnassus Heights Pharmacy
350 Parnassus St., 1st floor, San Francisco, CA 94143
Phone: (415) 564-9191
- Myers Apothecary
238 Hospital Drive, Ukiah, CA 95482
Phone: (707) 468-8991