Position Title: Histo/Mohs Technician
Reports To: Office Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Histotechnicians perform basic histology procedures of processing, embedding, cutting, and staining of tissue specimens for evaluation and diagnosis by Pathologists; perform basic special stains and prepare solutions as needed. The Mohs Technician assists the physician during MOHS surgery. Accurately prepare and process histologic specimens for microscopic evaluation and review by the Mohs Surgeon.
Duties and Responsibilities: (includes, but is not limited to the following):
- Process and inspect tissues or specimens.
- Prepare specimens for processing such as weighing, cassette preparation and block log updates.
- Perform routine staining procedures including but not limited to operating and maintaining slide staining.
- Embed and cut tissue and place on slide for staining.
- Stain and cover slips slides for physician review.
- Prepare for MOHS surgery by setting up cryostat, stainer and supplies.
- Follow specimen protocols and procedures within required timeframes for embedding frozen surgical specimens.
- Dispose of tissue following proper protocol.
- Clean and maintain lab equipment, instruments and machines.
- Maintain specimen documentation and records.
- Print grossing sheets and labels for slides.
- Maintain, document and troubleshoot equipment, reagents, temperature logs and/or other supplies.
- File surgical reports, photographs and slides.
- Answer questions from front office staff, medical assistants, physicians or outside clinics.
- May train other staff on specific clinic processes and procedures in relation to Mohs surgery.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required to perform the functions of this position.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Education, Licensure and/or Certifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- American Society of Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) Histotechnologist (HTL) or Histotechnician (HT) certification.
- Associates Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Prior lab, histology, and/or pathology experience preferred.
- One year of Mohs technician experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper, safe, efficient usage of current office equipment/software.
- Laboratory information systems.
- High attention to detail.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic to make calculations, balance and reconcile figures and make any changes accurately.
- Ability to identify epidermis with and without the use of a microscope.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
- Ability to use basic Microsoft Office applications.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that may need to be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires prolonged standing and working on your feet (70 – 90% of the day).
- Requires work at a computer while standing or sitting (30 – 80% of the day).
- Requires some bending, stooping and stretching.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports.
- Ability to lift supply boxes – max 50lbs.
- Ability to pull/push supply cart as needed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a clinical lab. Exposure to chemicals, hot plates from embedding station and/or microtome blades. Arms and hands may be exposed to below 25 degrees C. Fume hood noise.
Acknowledgment: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. The Employee may be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested.